Arabic-L:LING:ElixirFM 1.1 Online Interface

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Mar 6 22:58:23 UTC 2009

1) Subject:ElixirFM 1.1 Online Interface

Date: 06 Mar 2009
From:Otakar Smrz <otakar.smrz at mff.cuni.cz>
Subject:ElixirFM 1.1 Online Interface

Dear colleagues and prospective ElixirFM users :)

In the recent months, the ElixirFM project has undergone considerable
improvement in various respects. We have worked most on developing the
programming library and on refining the lexicon. On top of these
essential components, we have built a user-friendly web application,
the ElixirFM 1.1 Online Interface.

http://quest.ms.mff.cuni.cz/elixir/

ElixirFM is a computational model of the morphology of Modern Written
Arabic. It provides the user with four different modes of operation,
in addition to the unique lexical resource and the other open-source
functions of the implementation.

Resolve
    provides tokenization and morphological analysis of the inserted
text, even if you omit some symbols or do not spell everything
correctly. You can experiment with entering the text not only in the
original script and orthography, but also in other notations,
including a purely phonetic transcription.

Inflect
    lets you inflect words into the forms required by context. You
only need to define the grammatical parameters of the expected word
forms. You can either enter natural language descriptions, or you can
specify the parameters using the positional morphological tags.

Derive
    lets you derive words of similar meaning but different grammatical
category. You only need to tell the desired grammatical categories,
using either natural language descriptions, or the positional
morphological tags.

Lookup
    can lookup lexical entries by the citation form and nests of
entries by the root. You can even search the dictionary using English.

The online interface includes example queries for each of the modes.
It further incorporates several interactive tools to facilitate the
browsing of the results returned by the system.

Information on the programming libraries and the research context of
the project is in part available in our papers. Yet, we would like to
extend the documentation according to the requirements of the users,
and would be happy to discuss any unclear issues with anyone
interested.

ElixirFM is published under the GNU General Public License GNU GPL 3.
Everyone is welcome to participate in this project!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/elixir-fm/

Enjoy ... and let us know in case of questions or comments :)

With best regards and wishes

Otakar Smrz & Viktor Bielicky

Institute of Formal and Applied Linguistics
Charles University in Prague

The online version of this announcement with hyperlinks is posted at

http://ufal.mff.cuni.cz/padt/online/