Arabic-L:PEDA(AD):OWL SOPI Testing Software at CALICO

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Mar 11 21:33:02 UTC 2009

1) Subject:OWL Testing  Software at CALICO

Date: 11 Mar 2009
From:Greg Russak <grussak at OWLTS.COM>
Subject:OWL Testing  Software at CALICO

OWL Testing Software Announces New ‘Test Conversion Service’
During Annual CALICO Conference

New Service Simplifies Online Migration of Language Tests and
Assessments

TEMPE, Ariz. (March 10, 2009) – OWL Testing Software announced a new
service today at the 26th Annual Computer Assisted Language Instruction
Consortium (CALICO) Conference being held at Arizona State University.
The
OWL Test Conversion Service will make the transition from traditional,
paper-based, or other technology-based testing to OWL’s Web-based
platform
fast, easy, and effortless for their customers in education, government,
and business—while allowing continued use of the same basic test content
that they have used in the past.

“One of the great misconceptions among teachers, language lab directors,
school administrators, and even corporate and government trainers is the
amount of work required to convert their existing teaching and testing
materials into an online environment like OWL,” said Chris Dalessandri,
OWL Testing Software’s president and CEO. “By offering to convert
existing
content free of charge as part of the OWL Testing Software solution, we
make this transition to online testing even more painless and
economical.”

“By combining our new Test Conversion Service with the OWL Community
Library, we become the only language testing software company in the
world
to offer a ’best of both worlds‘ solution: validated SOPI-type test
content created by and voluntarily contributed to our Library by
customers, combined with the means by which customers can repurpose
their
existing tests,” added Greg Russak, OWL Testing Software vice
president of
sales. “We’re pleased to offer such a unique and powerful language
testing
system that goes beyond the standalone, canned tests, as well as any
commercial or open-source software, which is typically complicated and
devoid of test content.”

OWL provides full functionality for the entire assessment cycle:
authoring, scheduling, administering, rating, and reporting. Custom
assessments are created using an intuitive online wizard and can include
any number or combination of oral response, essays, cloze, completion,
fill-in-the-blank, matching, multiple-choice, or short answer questions—
incorporating text, graphics, audio, and video components.

“OWL offers the only widely-available testing tool designed specifically
for assessing all modes of communication through a single platform,”
Dalessandri added. “We’re very pleased to make this announcement here
and
to have the opportunity to showcase our cutting-edge assessment
technology
to the people attending CALICO, as they are among the best and brightest
language education professionals from the United States and around the
globe.”

In addition to measuring a student’s oral proficiency, reading and
listening comprehension, and comfort level communicating in the target
language; the OWL test management system allows language instructors to
establish baselines against which to measure their progress over time.
What’s more, the Web-based system may be used anywhere there’s access to
the Internet—providing flexibility across multiple offices or campuses,
time zones, and even continents.

About OWL Testing Software
Founded in 1999, OWL Testing Software is a premier provider of
affordable
Web-based testing and assessment systems for academia, government, and
business users. OWL’s intuitive test management system simplifies the
unique and complex challenges of second language acquisition—including
ESL
and EFL programs—and is easily applied to any subject matter in
education
or the workplace. Learn more at www.owlts.com.

# # #

OWL Testing Software