Arabic-L:LING:Transcription Query

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Mar 18 16:09:33 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Transcription Query

Date: 18 Mar 2009
From:John.Hannoush at anu.edu.au
Subject:Transcription Query

I am a Masters’ student at the ANU writing a thesis on a Lebanese
poet who came to Australia in the 60s.  My query is technical
concerning a point that came up when I decided to smarten up my
transcription system (I like the McGill freeserif based font with a
special word template).

I am wondering whether I need to use underlining or some other marking
if I want to transliterate ذ (dhal) as “dh”.  Similarly for khaa
(خ) as “kh”, and so on.   I assume the underlining is needed to
remove ambiguity but is it a practical concern: do in fact sequences
like d-sukun-h, k-sukun-h, etc  for example exist or are they uncommon
enough to make the risk of ambiguity negligible (that is, anyone
seeing “dh” could safely assume we are talking about dhal).   I
think I can leave the underlining off with “gh” for غ ghain
because “g” does not occur singly in the transcriptions.

Regards

John

John Hannoush
Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies