Arabic-L:PEDA:Arabic to Where Roundtable at NECTFL correction

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Mar 20 16:21:36 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Arabic to Where Roundtable at NECTFL correction

Date: 20 Mar 2009
From:Rajaa.Chouairi at usma.edu
Subject:Arabic to Where Roundtable at NECTFL correction

[some of the titles are changed in the following re-post]

This important round table panel discussion is opening the NECTFL
conference this year and we expect a lot of people to attend from
around the country.  I intend the discussion to be dialectical in
nature and to show a non-diplomatic (yet civilized) disagreement, in
order to reach a good result.  Here is a synopsis of what will take
place.

When and Where:  The Northeast Conference on the Teaching of Foreign
Languages.  April 17, 2009.  New York Marriott Marquis Hotel on Broadway

Title: Arabic, to Where? Are We Wasting Time or Are We on the Right
Track?

Panelists:  Rajaa Chouairi, United States Military Academy, West
Point; Karen Ryding, Georgetown University; Leslie McLaughlin,
Institute of Arabic & Islamic Studies, University of Exeter; Mahdi
Alosh, United States Military Academy, West Point; Munther Younes,
Cornell University.

ideal curriculum in a modern world. Are we doing the right thing? Are
we wasting time by not teaching the spoken variety? When to teach this
variety and how? How are Arabic literacy practices reflected in the
classroom? This is possibly the most unique, frank and out-in-the-open
panel discussion on Arabic.

Rajaa Chouairi, senior Arabic faculty at the United States Military
Academy, West Point, will be hosting and leading a frank and open
discussion by a panel of four major Arabic pedagogues from the U.S.
and England: Karen Ryding, Professor Emeritus, Georgetown University;
Leslie McLaughlin, Institute of Arabic and Islamic Studies at the
University of Exeter, England; Mahdi Alosh, Professor, United States
Military Academy, West Point; Munther Younes, Senior Lecturer, Cornell
University. Difficult and controversial questions will be asked by
Chouairi and the audience to people of contradictory opinions with the
hope of finding a common ground that will be beneficial for Arabic
curriculum development.

Presentation of each panelist will not exceed 5 minutes, and then
Rajaa Chouairi will conduct and direct the discussion and the
questions of the audience.  The whole discourse will be based on the
following short 5 minutes presentations:

Chouairi: Introduction.
Ryding:  Educated Spoken Arabic: A Flexible Spoken Standard
Younes:  Integrating Colloquial Arabic with Fusha from Day One
Alosh:  The Arabic Continuum, Where to Start?
Mclouglin: Away with myths.