Arabic-L:PEDA:Past Arabic Study Abroad Students: Complimentary Book

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Mar 20 16:21:28 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Past Arabic Study Abroad Students: Complimentary Book

Date: 20 Mar 2009
From:jeremy.palmer at gmail.com
Subject:Past Arabic Study Abroad Students: Complimentary Book

Did you study Arabic in the Arabic-speaking world in the past 3 years?

My name is Jeremy Palmer. I am a Ph.D. student in Second Language
Acquisition and Teaching (SLAT) at the University of Arizona. I am
conducting research about cultural integration, language proficiency
and other issues in a study abroad context. I am looking for people
who have been on a study abroad program anywhere in the Arabic-
speaking world within the past 3 years to complete one online survey
about their experiences in their host country. If you were in Egypt,
Jordan, or Syria, there is also a short online/emailed speech acts
assessment (kind of like a dialect language test - it's short).

In return I am offering a complimentary parallel text Arabic/English
book from Al-Ghazali. I can only send this book to addresses in the
United States.

This book is a parallel English-Arabic text called The Incoherence of
the Philosophers from Al-Ghazali. From byubookstore.com: “The
Incoherence of the Philosophers ranks among the most important works
of one of the most fascinating thinkers in the history of Islam.”

I am only able to offer this complimentary book to the next 24
participants who complete all the research.

If you are interested in participating, please email me. I will then
send you links to the online research instruments.

Length: about 45 – 60 minutes.

Why might you be interested?

You will get a complimentary Arabic/English book if you meet the above
criteria, complete the research, and you have an address in the United
States. Moreover, participating in this research may help Arabic
language teachers and learners improve their understanding of issues
related to cultural integration and language proficiency (and other
issues). Reflecting on your language and cultural experience may be a
beneficial exercise. For those who were in Egypt, Jordan, or Syria,
the speech acts assessment may help improve your spoken Arabic.

If you are interested in participating, please email me at jeremy.palmer at gmail.com

Thank you,

Jeremy Palmer
jeremy.palmer at gmail.com