Arabic-L:PEDA:Maryland Day for Arabic Students

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Tue Mar 24 17:53:12 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Maryland Day for Arabic Students

Date: 24 Mar 2009
From:arabick12 at gmail.com
Subject:Maryland Day for Arabic Students

University of Maryland invites Arabic students, family, and friends to
"Maryland Day"

Dear Arabic teacher/administrator:
       We are writing to invite you to a special meeting at the
University of Maryland Arabic Flagship Program to discuss the
condition of Arabic K-12 in the Greater Washington D.C. area. The
purpose of this meeting is to identify possible areas of collaboration
between the Flagship and existing or potential Arabic K-12 programs.

      The Arabic K-12 Outreach Meeting will take place on Wednesday,
April 29, at the University of Maryland Conference Center from 10:00
am – 3:00 pm. Lunch will be served to all attendees. Specific
directions will be sent to attendees when they RSVP.

       The University of Maryland Arabic Flagship is a U.S. Government-
sponsored program that is designed to enhance the teaching of Arabic.
The Flagship uses scholarships to undergraduate and graduate students
who have an interest in Arabic language study and it supports special
programs at the university including sponsored overseas study which
allow students to reach advanced levels of proficiency.

       We would like to learn more about Arabic K-12 programs in the
Greater Washington D.C. area, both existing programs and potential
sites for Arabic programs. Our goal is to educate as many students as
possible to highly advanced levels of the language, and this can best
be accomplished when we have students coming to the university who
have already studied the language for a period of time. We would like
to know who is teaching Arabic K-12 in the region, how the programs
are doing, what can we do to support your efforts, and what can we all
do to help the development of new programs. We are interested in
meeting with representatives of public schools, private schools,
community colleges, and heritage programs. It is our hope that, with
some coordination and collaboration among our institutions, we might
be able to work together to improve, expand, and increase Arabic K-12
in our area.

       We very much hope that you will attend the meeting and luncheon
and would appreciate if you could pass on this open invitation to
other interested colleagues. If you have any questions please call
Victoria Nier at 202-362-0700 or email vnier at cal.org; please do not
to vnier at cal.org with your name and affiliation, which will be printed
on your nametag at the meeting.

Thank you,