Arabic-L:PEDA:Maryland Day correction

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Mar 27 16:07:09 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Maryland Day correction

Date: 27 Mar 2009
From:arabick12 at gmail.com
Subject:Maryland Day correction

Dear Dr. Parkinson,

I'm afraid there was a mistake in one of the messages I sent you on
Monday. It has the right title, but the wrong body. Here is the
correction.

***Correction***
Local event: University of Maryland invites Arabic students, family,
and friends to "Maryland Day"
Calling All Arabic Students, Friends, and Family!

Join us for a celebration of Arabic language and culture at the
University of Maryland’s Maryland Day on Saturday, April 25th. Eat
delicious food, experience traditional dance performances, and learn
about the exciting Arabic Language Flagship Program offered by the
University of Maryland.

Established in 2008, the undergraduate Arabic Flagship at the
University of Maryland offers students a unique opportunity to attain
the professional level of proficiency in both Modern Standard Arabic
and the Egyptian dialect. The Flagship is looking for students who are
interested in pursuing Arabic language studies at the university
level, and has prepared a special program for you during Maryland Day.

12:00 – 12:30 pm: Presentation about the Arabic Flagship Program at
the University of Maryland (at the Inn and Conference Center)

12:30 – 2:00 pm: Catered lunch (also at the Inn and Conference Center)

2:00 – 2:30 pm: Enjoy Maryland Day festivities, and stop by the Middle
East Booth in the Global Village at Hornbake Plaza. Experience henna
hand painting, savor Arabic coffee and baklava, see your future in
your coffee cup and have your photo taken in traditional Middle
Eastern dress. Learn about the language flagship programs and
scholarships at UM.

2:30 – 3:00 pm: “Around the Middle East in Dance” show in Hornbake
Plaza. Enjoy multiple Middle Eastern dances including Egyptian belly
dance, Lebanese Dabke line dance and Tabla folkloric drums.

If you would like to attend the presentation and lunch, please RSVP to
Roula Abousaleh: rabousal at umd.edu. The room number and directions to
the Inn and Conference Center will be provided when you RSVP.

Please send this invitation on to anyone you know who might be
interested in attending. We hope to see you there!

For more information on Maryland Day, click on the link below.

http://www.marylandday.umd.edu/misc/eblast09.html

*****************************

In addition to this event, we are also planning an outreach event
specifically for Arabic teachers and administrators at the University
ofMaryland on April 29th. If you are interested in attending this
event, contact Victoria Nier at 202-362-0700 or email vnier at cal.org.

If you are unable to attend these events but would like to stay
connected regarding events/training/resources in the Arabic K-12
field, contact Mike Greer atmike at arabick12.org to join our Arabic K-12
Listserv.

Best,

Dr. Alaa Elgibali