Arabic-L:PEDA:Suggestions for teach yourself beginners

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Sun May 3 13:46:12 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Suggestions for teach yourself beginners
2) Subject:Suggestions for teach yourself beginners

Date: 02 May 2009
From:Grant Shafer <grantshafer at sbcglobal.net>
Subject:Suggestions for teach yourself beginners

Dear Mr. Seevers,
I'm also teaching myself Arabic.  I'm using Griffithes Wheeler
Thatcher's Arabic Grammar of the Written Language and Hans Wehr's A
Dictionary of Modern Written Arabic, edited by J. Milton Cowan.  Both
were recommended to me by University of Michigan professors and should
be available on Amazon.com.
I think that another grammar by Nahmad and a co-author whom I cannot
remember was also recommended.
Good luck,
Grant Shafer

[second message from same correspondent:]

Dear Mr. Seever,
I think that the other book recommended by the U. of Michigan prof was
Haywood and Nahmad's A New Arabic Grammar of the Written Language.
Thatcher's Arabic Grammar has a drawback. When translating English to
Arabic, I find that many of the words needed are not in the vocabulary
at the end of the book.  One needs to look at the vocabularies from
previous lessons.  If you have Hans Wehr's Arabic dictionary,
translating from Arabic to English should be OK, once you learn to
recognize roots.
Good luck,
Grant Shafer