Arabic-L:GEN:Needs "Once upon a time" story

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri May 8 18:27:37 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Needs "Once upon a time" story

Date: 08 May 2009
From:Haroon Shirwani <arabictutor at hotmail.com>
Subject:Needs "Once upon a time" story

I wonder if members of the list can help with this. I am looking for a
really good story or other short passage that can be recited to a
group of non-Arabists as an example of Arabic literature. In our high
school , as part of the end of year proceedings, the top students in
the graduating class each perform a text of their choice based on a
theme. This year's theme is "Once upon a time". One of them happens to
study Arabic and would like to do something in Arabic. This would be
the first time that Arabic has been represented like this, so I am
quite keen to pick a text that would be a hit, not too hard to
memorise (3 minutes, maximum) and which the audience would be able to
appreciate in translation.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Best wishes,
Haroon