Arabic-L:PEDA:Need Lit on foreign learners of Arabic and specific topics

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed May 20 17:27:02 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Need Lit on foreign learners of Arabic and specific topics

Date: 20 May 2009
From:jeremy.palmer at gmail.com
Subject:Need Lit on foreign learners of Arabic and specific topics

Hello,

I am wondering if any of you know of any literature about the
following issues:

1) Foreign student Arabic variety preference in different geographical
locations, For example, what do foreigners in Morocco think about MSA
and spoken Arabic? How about foreign students in Egypt?

2) Gender and Arabic variety preference among foreign learners of
Arabic. I know there is literature on this regarding native speakers
(Haeri etc.) but how about among foreign learners?

3) Age and proficiency in Arabic among foreign learners of Arabic.

4) issues related to living arrangement and study abroad in the Arabic-
speaking world.

I have not been very successful in finding literature addressing these
topics... especially empirical research. Help would be appreciated.
Perhaps these are all topics yet to be written in our field?

Please contact me off the list at jeremy.palmer at gmail.com.

Thank you,
Jeremy Palmer