Arabic-L:PEDA:Arabic Teacher Survey

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Mon May 25 10:17:52 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Arabic Teacher Survey

Date: 25 May 2009
From:albatal at AUSTIN.UTEXAS.EDU
Subject:Arabic Teacher Survey

Dear Friends,

MaraaHib!

If you are a teacher of Arabic at the college level in the US (any
academic rank, full-time, part-time, graduate students who teach their
own classes), we would like to invite you to participate in a teacher
survey that is part of study being conducted by Dr. Mahmoud Abdalla of
Michigan State University, Ms. Dina Hosni of the University of Texas,
and myself. The aim of this study is to:

1) understand the educational and linguistic background of college-
level teachers of Arabic in the US.
2) Understand the programmatic contexts and conditions under which
they teach.
3) Explore some of their attitudes towards the teaching and learning
of Arabic.
4) Assess their professional needs.

Once the survey is done, we will analyze its results and present them
to the field in the form of an article dealing with teacher
preparation issues in Arabic. We seek to have the largest
participation possible and we hope that you will accept our invitation
and participate in the survey. The survey will be anonymous and will
allow all teachers to express their views freely.

The survey will require about 25 minutes of your time to complete. We
realize how busy you are, but we very much value your input and thank
you in advance for taking the time to complete it.

You can access the survey at the following link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=GtdumYmHzAtzUFZsI4q6pA_3d_3d

If possible, we would like to have your response by June 1st and hope
that you will be able to spare us some time before then to take the
survey.  Please feel free to forward this survey to any colleagues at
your institution.

Thank you again for helping us with the survey and we are looking
forward to sharing the results with you soon.

Mahmoud Al-Batal (on behalf of the study team)

Mahmoud Al-Batal
Associate professor of Arabic
Director, UT Arabic Flagship Program
Director, Center for Arabic Study Abroad (CASA)
Department of Middle Eastern Studies
1 University Station, F9400
West Mall Building, 6.138
The University of Texas, Austin
Austin, TX 78712-0527
Tel: (512)471-3463            Fax: (512)471-7834