Arabic-L:LING:writing the dual of hamza final verbs

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Sep 16 19:07:06 UTC 2009

1) Subject:writing the dual of hamza final verbs
2) Subject:writing the dual of hamza final verbs

Date: 16 Sep 2009
From:Legrandbosra at YAHOO.FR
Subject:writing the dual of hamza final verbs

I searched for the dual of the verbs بدأ، ملأ، , قرأ،
أخطأ، in arabiCorpus.
I used the folllowing search terms: (bd|ml|qr|LxT)LA     (bd|ml|qr|
LxT)M   (bd|ml|qr|LxT)MA

A summary of the results:

the dual written with a madda on alif:  بدآ، ملآ etc.:

Ahram (Egypt): 5 forms
Hayat96 (GB with Levantine and Saudi influence): 24 forms
Hayat97 (GB with Levantine and Saudi influence): 25 forms
Tajdid (Morocco): 0 forms
Watan (Kuwait): 7 forms
Thawra (Syria): 2 forms
Literature (Palestinian writer): 1 form

the dual written with hamza on alif followed by another alif:
قرأا، ملأا، etc.:

Ahram: 0 forms
Hayat96: 1 form
Hayat97: 1 form
Tajdid: 0 forms
Watan: 0 forms
Thawra: 13 forms
Literature: no forms

the dual written with madda on alif followed by another alif: قرآا,
etc.:

Ahram: 0 forms
Hayat96: 0 forms
Hayat97: 0 forms
Tajdid: 0 forms
Watan: 0 forms
Thawra: 1 form
Literature: no forms

I think it is pretty clear that the practice of writing the dual with
two alifs in a row is limited to the Levantine practice, and mainly to
Syria.  I know that the language academy in Cairo has denigrated the
practice of writing two alifs in a row for any reason whatsoever (that
is what the madda is for, after all), but I do not know if the
language academy in Damascus takes a similar or opposite stance.

Why a year of the Ahram would have so few duals compared to separate
years of Al-Hayat is an interesting question.  It is possible that we
will find more use of the plural where dual would be expected (this is
not an accusation, just a rumination).

Any way, happy corpus hunting.

dil