Arabic-L:LING:proposed etymologies of ojala and Iraq

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Sep 16 19:07:53 UTC 2009

1) Subject:proposed etymologies of ojala and Iraq

Date: 16 Sep 2009
From:Moulay Ali Bouanani <bouanani.idrissi at gmail.com>
Subject:proposed etymologies of ojala and Iraq

Ojala,
I have just read the explanation give as to the etymology of ojala.
People in al-Andalus spoke their vernacular which was the Maghrebi
form of Arabic: a 'Darija/'Ammiyya' containing much Arabic, Tamazight
(Berber) and some early Spanish. Any person interested in the history
of al-Andalus and its settling by the Muslims would find that the
North Africans made a large group in that land. We don't need to look
into what Egyptians say to figure out the meaning of 'ojala'. To this
day in the western most parts of the Maghreb people use the word
'waxxa' for yes and OK. I have not investigated the etymology of the
word 'waxxa', but I am convinced it is of Amazigh origin since
speakers of Tamazight use it meaning Yes and OK. Ojala is then: waxxa
Allah (Allah ok's it). The syntax is not that of Arabic, of course,
but the descendants of the Mudejars who were not allowed to speak
Arabic, did not keep all the grammatical and syntactical rules when
they spoke.