Arabic-L:TRANS:more on 'common sense'

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Mon Apr 12 19:12:28 UTC 2010

1) Subject:more on 'common sense'
2) Subject:more on 'common sense'

Date: 12 Apr 2010
From:Benjamin Geer <benjamin.geer at gmail.com>
Subject:more on 'common sense'

Many suggest بديهي and its cognates as a translation for commonsensical and commonsense.  But doesn’t بديهي denote that which is intuitive or axiomatic, i.e. goes without saying?  Isn’t this, then, a little bit different from commonsense?

I think the issue here is that academic discourse often critiques common sense; thus the phrase "common sense" often connotes scepticism about what is commonly believed (much like the phrase "folk theory").  It seems to me that بديهي is not compatible with this connotation.  While بديهي could be fine to translate an everyday sentence like (a), it won't work for (b):

(a) Of course, my son, you can't succeed if you don't try; that's just common sense.
(b) Common sense tells us that we have free will, but philosophers have disputed this belief.

Hence in contexts like (b), we find translations like الفهم الشائع or الحس المشترك.

Ben