Arabic-L:LING:Needs resource for Medieval plant names

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Thu Aug 19 04:01:59 UTC 2010

1) Subject: Needs resource for Medieval plant names

Date: 19 Aug 2010
From: Adam McCollum <acmccollum101 at gmail.com>
Subject: Needs resource for Medieval plant names

Dear colleagues,

I'm reading through some medieval Arabic texts and am finding it
difficult at times to properly identify some of the plant names used
as drugs. Does anyone have recommendations on one or more good sources
for this problem? I am familiar with (and have profitably used) I.
Löw's work, Aramaeische Pflanzennamen (Leipzig, 1881), and, while not
directly touching on Arabic terms, his comments often do give useful
observations for Arabic.

Many thanks in advance for other recommendations.

Adam C. McCollum, Ph.D.

End of Arabic-L:  19 Aug 2010