Arabic-L:GEN:2011 PARC Fellowships

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Mon Dec 6 23:20:44 UTC 2010

Arabic-L: Mon 06 Dec 2010
Moderator: Dilworth Parkinson <dil at byu.edu>

1) Subject: 2011 PARC Fellowships

Date: 06 Dec 2010
From: "us.parc" <us.parc at gmail.com>
Subject: 2011 PARC Fellowships

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce PARC's second Faculty Development Seminar (FDS) in Palestine, to take place May 19-30, 2011.  If you have not yet had a chance to read about our 2010 FDS and the many excellent pieces of follow-up work that our participating faculty have already produced, please refer to our most recent newsletter (also attached to this email) and the FDS page on our Website: http://parc-us-pal.org/facultyDevSem.htm.

We greatly look forward to receiving applications and encourage you to forward this announcement to any other individuals or institutions that may be interested in participating.

We are also including again the announcement for our 2011 U.S. Research Fellowship Competition. We encourage you to post and circulate this announcement among students, colleagues, and friends.  For more information about PARC or our fellowship programs, please see the attached announcement or consult our Website at http://parc-us-pal.org/.

Sincerely,
Penelope Mitchell
Executive Director, PARC

PARC U.S. Faculty Development Seminar on Palestine
May 19-30, 2011 in Jerusalem and the West Bank
Application deadline: January 31, 2011
Award notification: March 18, 2011

PARC announces its second Faculty Development Seminar on Palestine. This 12-day seminar is for U.S. faculty members with a demonstrated interest in, but little travel experience to, Palestine. PARC will select 10 to 15 U.S. faculty members to participate in Jerusalem-based activities that will include lectures, workshops and visits to local universities and other related institutions in the West Bank. Through these activities, participants will learn about the region, deepen their knowledge of their particular fields of interest as they relate to Palestine, and build relationships with Palestinian academic colleagues.

Applicants must:
Be U.S. citizens.
Be full-time faculty members at recognized U.S. colleges or universities.  Applicants may come from any academic discipline, including the humanities, social sciences, economics, law, health, and science.
Have a demonstrated interest in Palestine.
Have little travel experience to Palestine.
Be willing to integrate their experiences from the seminar into their own teaching and/or pursue a joint research project or publication with a Palestinian colleague.
Be a member of PARC.
PARC will make all arrangements for seminars, workshops, tours and meetings with Palestinian academic colleagues. PARC will also make arrangements and cover all expenses for in-country group ground travel, accommodations, and group meals. Personal expenses will be the responsibility of each faculty member. Faculty members will need to provide their own international airfare. In cases of need, PARC will consider partial funding for international travel.

For more information about this program, please visit PARC on the Web at http://parc-us-pal.org or send an email to us.parc at gmail.com. (Program contingent upon funding.)

PARC 2011-12 Fellowship Competition for U.S. Scholars Conducting Field-Based Research on Palestine

Full proposals due: January 15, 2011
Fellowship awards from $6,000 – $10,000
Award notification: March 18, 2011

The Palestinian American Research Center (PARC) announces its 12th annual competition for post-doctoral and doctoral research fellowships in Palestinian studies.

Important information about the fellowship competition:

·        Research must contribute to Palestinian studies. Any area of Palestinian studies will be considered, including the humanities, social sciences, economics, law, health and science. Purely scientific research is not eligible for this fellowship competition.
·        Research must take place in Palestine, Israel, Jordan, or Lebanon.
·        PARC funding is for one year only.
·        Applicants must be post-doctoral scholars, established researchers, or full-time doctoral students enrolled in a recognized degree program. Doctoral students must have fulfilled all preliminary requirements for the doctorate degree except the dissertation by the time the research commences. The fellowship will not cover tuition fees. Senior researchers without doctorates but with a record of academic publication are eligible. Applicants with a master’s may only apply jointly with a post-doctoral scholar.
·        Applicants must be U.S. citizens. Permanent residents are not eligible.
·        Applicants must be PARC members. See the PARC Website for membership information.
·        Individual and joint research projects are eligible.
·        Former PARC fellows who received grants in the last three years are not eligible to apply.
·        Applications from women are especially encouraged.

In addition to sending all application materials by email to us.parc at gmail.com, applicants must send 4 copies of the full application (except for letters of recommendation) to:

PARC, Penelope Mitchell, Executive Director
6520 East Halbert Road
Bethesda, MD 20817-5414

For more information go to http://parc-us-pal.org/ or contact us at us.parc at gmail.com.
Palestinians who are not U.S. citizens should direct inquiries to Dr. Hadeel Qazzaz, Palestine Director, at parcpal at palnet.com.

Funded by the U.S. Department of State’s Educational and Cultural Affairs Bureau through an agreement with CAORC.