Arabic-L:LING:Quantitative Studies of Spoken Arabic

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Mon Dec 6 23:20:51 UTC 2010

Arabic-L: Mon 06 Dec 2010
Moderator: Dilworth Parkinson <dil at byu.edu>

1) Subject: Quantitative Studies of Spoken Arabic

Date: 06 Dec 2010
From: Rania Habib <rhabib at syr.edu>
Subject: Quantitative Studies of Spoken Arabic

Dear John,

I work on Syrian Arabic. I thought you might be interested in some of the following work for your class or for future reference.

Habib, Rania. To appear 2011. Frequency effects and the lexical split in the use of [t] and [s]
and [d] and [z] in the Syrian Arabic of Christian Rural Migrants. Journal of Historical Linguistics.

Habib, Rania. To appear 2011. New model for bilingual minds in sociolinguistic variation
situations: Interacting social and linguistic constraints. International Journal of Psychology Research 6 (6), 1-54.

Habib, Rania. To appear December 2010. Rural Migration and Language Variation in Hims,
Syria. SKY Journal of Linguistics.

Habib, Rania. 2010. Word Frequency and the Acquisition of the Arabic Urban Prestigious
Form [ʔ]. Glossa, October 2010, 198-219.

Habib, Rania. 2010. Towards determining social class in Arabic-speaking communities and
implications for linguistic variation. Sociolinguistic Studies 4 (1), 175-200.

If you need more quantitative details that may be emitted in articles, you could check the following two references:

Habib, Rania. 2005. The role of social factors, lexical borrowing and speech accommodation
in the variation of [q] and [ʔ] in the colloquial Arabic of rural migrant families in Hims, Syria. Unpublished MA thesis. University of Florida.

Habib, Rania. 2008. New Model for Analyzing Sociolinguistic Variation: The interaction of
social and linguistic constraints. Unpublished PhD thesis. University of Florida.

Please, note that if you are interested in references that have not appeared yet, you could e-mail me and ask me to e-mail them to you.

Best regards,
Rania

Rania Habib, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Linguistics
Coordinator of Arabic Program
Dept. of Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics
Syracuse University
325 H. B. Crouse
Syracuse, NY 13244
Tel: 315-443-5490