Arabic-L:GEN:lentils

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Feb 12 00:17:54 UTC 2010

Arabic-L: Thu 11 Feb 2010
[To post messages to the list, send them to
arabic-l at byu.edu
]

listserv at byu.edu
 with first line reading:

1) Subject:lentils
2) Subject:lentils
3) Subject:lentils
4) Subject:lentils
5) Subject:lentils
6) Subject:lentils
7) Subject:lentils
8) Subject:lentils

Date: 11 Feb 2010
From:"Familiar, Laila H" <laila at austin.utexas.edu>
Subject:lentils

Hello Maurice,
In Egypt they say:

اللي ما يعرفش يقول عدس

Laila

Date: 11 Feb 2010
From:Alexis Neme <alexis.neme at gmail.com>

Yes, I heard it with the variant "yalli biya3rif biya3rif wu yalli maa biya3rif ... "

Date: 11 Feb 2010
From: "AWEISS,SALEM I" <saweiss at ufl.edu>

greetings

the story in the palestinian context goes as follows (at least the
version i know):

a man had a young daughter who was secretly meeting her boyfriend
in the barn. one day the father shows up unexpectedly and the
young man had to run away in a hurry and in the process had some
lentils (probably before being crushed/ground) in his had. and as
he was running away and the father pursuing him, the village
residents were surprised to see the man chasing the young man
because of a handful of lentils. the father's response was.....he
who knows, knows....