Arabic-L:PEDA:Survey for MSA instructors with Advanced-Hi or Superior learners

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Feb 24 00:12:34 UTC 2010

Arabic-L: Mon 23 Feb 2010
[To post messages to the list, send them to
arabic-l at byu.edu
]

listserv at byu.edu
 with first line reading:

1) Subject:Survey for MSA instructors with Advanced-Hi or Superior learners

Date: 23 Feb 2010
From:Jesse Blackburn-Morrow <jmorrow at avantassessment.com>
Subject:Survey for MSA instructors with Advanced-Hi or Superior learners

Dear Arabic-L members:

Avant Assessment requests your assistance with our latest survey, which will inform our development of a diagnostic test for Modern Standard Arabic learners. This survey is for MSA instructors with 3/more years experience teaching native-English-speaking learners at the ILR 2+/3 proficiency levels (ACTFL Advanced-High, progressing to Superior; or approximately high B1, progressing to high B2 on the CEFR). It closes 1 March, or after 40 responses. We greatly value your input.  Please find the survey link and more information about the project/requirements below. (Apologies for any cross-posting.)

Best regards,

Jesse Blackburn Morrow
Diagnostic Test Development
Avant Assessment
----------------------

Avant Assessment is designing a diagnostic test for students of Modern Standard Arabic (MSA). This test will identify the strengths and weaknesses of students trying to progress from Advanced-High to Superior on the ACTFL scale, or from 2+ to 3 on the ILR scale. We are looking for MSA instructors to complete a series of short surveys as part of our research. Respondents must meet the following qualifications:

1)      Have three (3) or more years experience  teaching MSA to students at one or both of these proficiency levels: ILR 2+ (ACTFL Advanced-High), ILR3 (ACTFL Superior)
2)      Have experience teaching the language to adult native speakers of English, in a school or university setting
3)      Have experience assessing students, using the ILR Skill Level descriptors and/or ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines
4)      Be a native speaker of Arabic, or possess a high level of proficiency in MSA
5)      Be fluent in English

We value your insight as an experienced instructor of MSA, as your responses to these surveys will help us to define exactly “what” will be tested, and will improve the feedback we can give learners.

This project will involve 6 brief surveys. You will be compensated $20.00 USD for each survey (relevant to your experience) that you complete before the survey closes. If you complete all surveys on time for a particular proficiency level, you will receive a bonus of $100.00 USD. Each of the surveys should take about 20-30 minutes to complete.

If you meet our qualifications, please go to http://surveyconsole.com/t/AeFGZCwQr  to take the ILR 2+3 reading vocabulary survey. This survey will close on 1 March 2010, or after 40 responses are received.

If you have any questions about this project, please contact us at survey at avantassessment.com. Avant Assessment, partnered with the Center for AppliedSecond Language Studies (CASLS) at the University of Oregon, is a world leader in web-based second-language assessment. http://www.avantassessment.com/

End of Arabic-L:  23 Feb 2010