Arabic-L:PEDA:Columbia Arabic Summer Program in Amman, Jordan

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Jan 20 19:14:17 UTC 2010

Arabic-L: Wed 20 Jan 2010
Moderator: Dilworth Parkinson <
dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu

[To post messages to the list, send them to
arabic-l at byu.edu
]

listserv at byu.edu
 with first line reading:

1) Subject:Columbia Arabic Summer Program in Amman, Jordan

Date: 20 Jan 2010
From:
Taoufiq Ben Amor <tb46 at columbia.edu>

Subject:Columbia Arabic Summer Program in Amman, Jordan

Dear Colleagues:

We are happy to announce the summer 2010 launch of the Columbia  Arabic Summer Program in Amman, Jordan based at the newly opened Columbia University Middle East Research Center http://cumerc.columbia.edu/.

Placement into the program and levels offered are flexible to accommodate students from various institutions and backgrounds. The program covers a full year of Arabic for a total of 12 points in two four- week sessions. Courses include:

Modern Standard Arabic, 10 points

Level 1: Elementary Arabic II/Intermediate Arabic I

Level 2: Intermediate Arabic I/Intermediate Arabic II

Level 3: Intermediate Arabic II/Advanced Arabic I

Level 4: Advanced Arabic I/Advanced Arabic II

Colloquial Jordanian/Levantine Arabic I-II, 2 points

Course-related field trips and cultural activities are organized to provide opportunities for students to strengthen their language skills and deepen their understanding of Arabic language, history, and culture. Sites to be visited might include Petra, the Dead Sea, Al-Aqaba, and Jarash. The program will also organize trips where students work with local communities on particular projects. Depending student interest, placements in arts internships will also be available.

For more information, please go to: www.ogp.columbia.edu

If you should have any questions or would like more flyers, please do not hesitate to contact me at tb46 at columbia.edu or the Columbia’s Office of Global Programs at fjj1 at columbia.edu.

 I look forward to receiving applications from your students!

 Sincerely,

Taoufik Ben Amor,

Gordon Gray Jr Senior Lecturer in Arabic Studies

Arabic Language Program Coordinator at Columbia University