Arabic-L:LING:Arabic idiom query response

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Jan 20 19:14:12 UTC 2010

Arabic-L: Wed 20 Jan 2010
Moderator: Dilworth Parkinson <
dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu

[To post messages to the list, send them to
arabic-l at byu.edu
]

listserv at byu.edu
 with first line reading:

1) Subject:Arabic idiom query response
2) Subject:Arabic idiom query response
3) Subject:Arabic idiom query response

Date: 20 Jan 2010
From:David Wilmsen <david.wilmsen at gmail.com>
Subject:Arabic idiom query response

Have a look at these:

Farghal, M. (1993a). “Euphemism in Arabic:  A Gricean interpretation”, Anthropological Linguistics 37/3: 366—378.

Farghal, M. (1993b). “Dysphemism in Jordanian Arabic”, Zeitschrift fur arabische Linguistik, 30: 50—61.

Farghal, M. (1993c). “The Translatability of Arabic Death Terms into English”, Koiné. Annali della Scuola per Interpreti e Traduttori <<San Pellegrino>>, III:  15—29.

And my own

“Understatement, Euphemism, and Circumlocution in Egyptian Arabic:  Cooperation in Conversational Dissembling,” in Owens, Jonathan, and Alaa El Gibaly editors, Information Structure in Spoken Arabic. London: Routledge. 2009, pp. 243 — 259.

David Wilmsen
Associate Professor of Arabic
Department of Arabic and Near Eastern Languages
American University of Beirut