Arabic-L:LING:Help with dialect description response

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Jan 20 19:14:32 UTC 2010

1) Subject:Help with dialect description response

Date: 20 Jan 2010
From:"Berg, Frederick E Mr CIV USA TRADOC" <rick.berg1 at us.army.mil>
Subject:Help with dialect description response

Here's some input on describing Iraqi 3amiya/le7ja. I only spent a year in Iraq, and my fus-7a wasn't very good to start with.

1. Modified the pronunciation of MSA, especially for ق ظ ذ ث . E. g. "qif" becomes "aguf."
2. Dropped the case endings and restricted use of the dual.
3. Simplified the verb system, eliminating subjunctive and jussive.
4. Changed the ways of making a negative sentence and negating verbs; replaces "leissa" with "ma"/"mu".
5. Simplified the numbers and counting system.
6. More Farsi vocabulary than other dialects.
7. Substituted different words for many common MSA words.
8. The future tense is distinctive from MSA.
9. Distinctive possessive; "maly"/"maltak" instead of "-y" / "-uka".

Rick B.
California

End of Arabic-L:  20 Jan 2010