Arabic-L:LING:ishmi3na sittiin?

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Thu Jul 1 14:46:22 UTC 2010

1) Subject: ishmi3na sittiin?

Date: 07 Jul 2010
From: Jan Juchelka <janjj at getmail.no>
Subject: ishmi3na sittiin?

In arabic the number 60 is used as an intensifier (Like: (la mu’axza) ibn sittiin kalb and rouh fi sittiin dahya).

Other numbers seem also to be used like ‘ultillak miit marra and ma3a alf(een) salaama. The use of 100/1000 and even 2000 seems for me somehow logic as an exaggeration. But I wonder why exactly 60, and not any other numbers like foe example 50 or 60 (although it seems 70 is used to intensify 60: sittiin fi sab3iin)has become an intensifier.

Is there any special meaning behind the number 60 that could explain why it is used this way?

Jan

End of Arabic-L:  07 Jul 2010