Arabic-L:LING:Transcription

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Jul 9 12:46:15 UTC 2010

1) Subject: Transcription

Date: 08 Jul 2010
From: Benjamin Geer <benjamin.geer at gmail.com>
Subject: Transcription

"Knut S. Vikør" <knut.vikor at ahkr.uib.no> wrote:
> More logical, probably, and well used in Europe is to use a systematic "single character" system,
> where th and dh becomes t/d with line under, gh is g with dot above, etc.; these characters all exist
> as separate characters in contemporary computer systems and it works.

That's the DIN 31635 system, which is the one used in the Hans Wehr dictionary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_31635

The main advantage of this system is that, since each Arabic letter is represented by a single distinct character in transcription, there's no ambiguity, as there can be with the IJMES system (where "yushir" can be يشير or يسهر).  For the same reason, if I write a text using DIN transcription, and I need to change it to any other transcription system to meet a publisher's requirements, I can easily do this with a few search-and-replace operations in the word processor, but the reverse (e.g. going from IJMES to DIN) can't be done automatically.

Ben

End of Arabic-L:  08 Jul 2010