Arabic-L:PEDA:Arabic SIG at ACTFL 2010

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Jul 9 12:46:11 UTC 2010

1) Subject: Arabic SIG at ACTFL 2010

Date: 08 Jul 2010
From: "Ayari, Salah" <ayari-s at tamu.edu>
Subject: Arabic SIG at ACTFL 2010

Dear colleagues,

As Chair of the ACTFL Arabic Special Interest Group, and on behalf of the Arabic SIG officers, I greet you and hope you are enjoying your summer break. The early-bird registration deadline for the 2010 ACTFL Annual Convention is fast approaching (July 14, 2010I), and I thought it is a good time to remind you to keep your Arabic SIG membership active (and to become a member if you are not). I also hope you are planning to attend the ACTFL Convention in Boston (Nov. 19-21). This year, the Arabic SIG is planning to elect new officers (Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary) during its business meeting. As a reminder, the current officers are:

  1. Chair: Salah Ayari

  2. Vice Chair: Shereen Tabrizi

  3. Secretary: Hanada Taha-Thomure

Approximately two years after the inception of the group, membership in the ACTFL Arabic SIG has been quite healthy. Additionally, the number of sessions on Arabic language teaching has noticeably increased thanks to the Arabic SIG. To learn about the Arabic sessions scheduled for ACTFL  2010, view the Online Convention Program at http://www.actfl.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=5169.

The purpose of this message is to solicit nominations for candidates for the positions of Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary of the Arabic SIG. All terms are for two (2) years from the date of election, and all candidates must have been a member of ACTFL and the SIG for a least one year. Candidates will be selected based on the following considerations:

a. Background and suitability for the position.

b. Previous leadership experiences.

c. Desire to serve.

Here are the duties of each officer:

1. Chair
   b. Duties: Solicit, organize and select presentations for the annual convention, assist the SIG in articulating and
    disseminating its issues and concerns to ACTFL, chair the SIG's annual business meeting and act as the liaison
    between the SIG and ACTFL headquarters. At the conclusion of service, conduct with ACTFL staff a transition
    meeting/call with successor.

2. Vice-Chair
   a. Term: Two-year.
   b. Duties: Assist the Chair, as appropriate. At the conclusion of service, conduct with ACTFL staff a transition
   meeting/call with successor.

3. Secretary
   a. Term: Two-year.
   b. Duties: Prepare the minutes of the SIG Annual Business meeting, receive the session proposals and manage
  the proposal review process for the SIG. At the conclusion of service, conduct with ACTFL staff a transition
  meeting/call with successor.

If you meet these criteria, I encourage you to submit your candidacy by contacting me at
ayari-s at tamu.edu<mailto:ayari-s at tamu.edu>. Please send an updated resume if you decide to run for the elections.

Candidates will be announced to the membership in October, one month prior to the annual meeting, and the elections will be conducted at the SIG annual meeting during ACTFL's Convention.

Best wishes,

Salah Ayari, Chair

End of Arabic-L:  08 Jul 2010