Arabic-L:PEDA:Summer Intensive Program in Gulf Arabic 2010

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Mar 19 18:22:58 UTC 2010

Arabic-L: Fri 19 Mar 2010
[To post messages to the list, send them to
arabic-l at byu.edu
]

listserv at byu.edu
 with first line reading:

1) Subject:Summer Intensive Program in Gulf Arabic 2010

Date: 19 Mar 2010
From:Maria <apple at swissmail.org>
Subject:Summer Intensive Program in Gulf Arabic 2010

The Gulf Arabic Programme in Buraimi, Oman invites students to join us for the

Gulf Arabic Programme's Summer Intensive Programme (ISP) 2010.

This four-week course runs every July and teaches the spoken dialect of the Arabian Gulf. This year it will be June 27 - July 22, Sundays through Thursdays. Classes are from  8:00 a.m. to 2:40 p.m. with a half-hour lunch break. Another four hours or so will need to be spent outside of class each day. The class costs AED 3750 which includes your book and CD.

The course will provide you with a good introduction to colloquial Gulf Arabic, starting with how to put together basic sentences.  By the end of the course you are able to give and receive directions; use verbs in the past and (to some extent) the present and engage in very basic conversations
on a few topics.

Students are expected to have mastered the Arabic alphabet before they arrive, this can be done using any of the popular 'Teach Yourself Arabic' courses available in bookshops worldwide.  Students who arrive unfamiliar with Arabic script will almost certainly not be able to proceed with the course.  This requirement on students allows us to begin study of the language immediately without the need to spend valuable time on the alphabet.  To help students see if they are sufficiently competent in the script to benefit from the course, we have placed a self assessment test on our website at
http://www.gapschool.net/Alif_Baa_Web_Test/Alif_Baa_Web_Test.htm.

Please note that the program is in Buraimi, Oman, which is a twin city of Al Ain, UAE. You can enter Buraimi with your passport using your UAE visitor visa without stamping out of the UAE depending on your nationality. If you let me know your nationality I can let you know more about this.

You can apply online for our program at http://www.gapschool.net/application.htm.

Upon our receipt of your application you will need to send a deposit of AED 1000. Please contact us for details on how to do this.

Sincerely,
Keith Finke,
Director
http://gapschool.net/