Arabic-L:GEN:Call for participation - Collaboration in Cataloging: Islamic Manuscripts at Michigan

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Thu Mar 25 16:04:56 UTC 2010

1) Subject:Call for participation - Collaboration in Cataloging: Islamic Manuscripts at Michigan

Date: 25 Mar 2010
From:"Rodgers, Jonathan" <jrodgers at umich.edu>
Subject:Call for participation - Collaboration in Cataloging: Islamic Manuscripts at Michigan

Call for Participation - Collaboration in Cataloging: Islamic Manuscripts at Michigan

Colleagues,

The University of Michigan Library is pleased to invite your participation in our CLIR-funded project, "Collaboration in
Cataloging: Islamic Manuscripts at Michigan," by way of our newly launched project website:

http://www.lib.umich.edu/islamic/

The project website provides access to bibliographic records and digital images of the Islamic manuscripts; facilitates the gathering of informative and insightful commentary from scholars on campus, across the country, and around the world; and exposes in real time the dynamic enrichment of bibliographic information as project staff, scholars, and other contributors interact with the system. By involving the widest possible scholarly community in the iterative enrichment of manuscript descriptions, our project makes the best possible use of collective expertise that will help us overcome the challenges inherent in traditional manuscript cataloguing.

The Islamic Manuscripts Collection at the University of Michigan contains approximately 1,100 manuscript volumes mainly in Arabic, Persian, and Turkish and dating from roughly the 8th to the 20th century CE. A limited amount of descriptive information for the manuscripts has already been gathered and converted to preliminary records in our online library catalogue. Likewise, the manuscripts are being digitized with their digital versions appearing in the Hathi Trust Digital Library. The existing descriptive information is currently being enhanced as the project cataloguer and staff examine the manuscripts (both physically and in the digital environment) and use a research approach to assemble as rich and analytical a description as possible for each manuscript.

We invite you to join us in the examination and description of the manuscripts and submit the results of your analysis as comments via our project website. Your contributions will be reviewed by the project cataloguer and refashioned for incorporation into the cataloguing records for the manuscripts you examine. Additionally, your contribution will be recognized both on the site and in the record for the manuscript that appears in our library catalogue.

We look forward to seeing your comments posted to the project site and thank you in advance for your valuable contribution to this project.

More information on the project is available here:

http://www.lib.umich.edu/special-collections-library/clir-islamic-manuscripts-project

You may browse records of all the manuscripts in our catalogue at:   http://mirlyn.lib.umich.edu/Search/Home?filter%5B%5D=location%3ASPEC%20ISLM&page=1&use_dismax=1

Please forward any questions, comments, and/or suggestions to project staff at islamic.manuscripts at umich.edu.

End of Arabic-L:  25 Mar 2010