Arabic-L:PEDA:BYU Summer Arabic Program

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri May 7 12:07:36 UTC 2010

1) Subject:BYU Summer Arabic Program

Date: 07 Aug 2010
From:"R. Kirk Belnap" <belnap at byu.edu>
Subject:BYU Summer Arabic Program

2010 Summer Intensive Arabic Program
Brigham Young University

Brigham Young University (BYU) will offer first- and second-year intensive Arabic during its Summer term (June 21 - August 9). At BYU, we take an innovative approach to learning Arabic: students are exposed to the language as it is actually used in the Arab world. From the first day of class, students begin learning to speak Egyptian Arabic (the most widely understood Arabic dialect and one closely related to neighboring dialects such as urban Palestinian). Classes are highly interactive and one-on-one conversations with an Arab tutor, film evenings, soccer games, and cooking lessons are also an integral part of the experience. We are fortunate to have Ahmad Karout teaching our second-year program, which focuses on Modern Standard Arabic; however, students will continue to be exposed to Egyptian and Levantine Arabic in and outside of the classroom. Students enrolling in the second-year program should be comfortable with the skills, vocabulary, and structures taught up to and including lesson 15 in Al-Kitaab, vol. 1 (or the equivalent).

For more information on the program please look under "Summer Program" at:

http://asiane.byu.edu/arab.php

Please address Arabic-specific questions to: arabic at byu.edu

End of Arabic-L:  07 Aug 2010