Arabic-L:LING:needs articles on Egyptian Arabic passives

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Nov 3 16:33:41 UTC 2010

1) Subject: needs articles on Egyptian Arabic passives

Date: 03 Nov 2010
From: Farzan Zaheed <farzanzaheed at yahoo.com>
Subject: needs articles on Egyptian Arabic passives

Hello Everyone,
Does anybody know of any articles on the passive verb in Egyptian Arabic? I mean verbs that begin with the prefix 'it-' in the perfective such as:
masik - itmasik
fahhim - itfahhim
qaabal - itqaabal  (This is not a passive but I was interested in any verb that begins with 'it-' whether passive or not).

These verbs are usually termed passive verbs (although this might not be the most accurate description). The are also sometimes called t-stem verbs (by Woidich).

If anybody knows of anything outside of the the comprehensive grammars of EA, especially journal articles or dissertations on the subject I'd really appreciate the info.

Thanks so much,
Farzan Zaheed
University of Texas at Austin.