Arabic-L:Arabic romanization in social networking media

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Sep 8 14:25:55 UTC 2010

1) Subject: Arabic romanization in social networking media

Date: 8 Sep 2010
From: Joseph Lowry <joseph.lowry at verizon.net>
Subject: Arabic romanization in social networking media

Dear Colleagues,

A colleague in Chinese has asked me whether Arabic speakers use
"romanization" on  their Facebook or other social networking pages.
Since I work almost exclusively on premodern texts, and also do not
subscribe to any social networking sites, I am doubly unqualified to
answer this question, so I am asking you.  Can I ask you please to
respond directly to me and I will collate your answers and forward
them to my colleague.  If anyone happens to be studying this
phenomenon, which probably extends to the use of romanization in any
digital media, like texting, I'm sure my colleague would like to hear
from you and I could put you in touch.

Thanks,
Joe Lowry

Dr. Joseph E. Lowry
Associate Professor of Arabic and Islamic Studies
Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations
847 Williams Hall
255 South 36th Street
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104