Arabic-L:LIT:New Books:Poetry and the Body in the Arabic Novel

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Sep 8 14:26:14 UTC 2010

1) Subject: Poetry and the Body in the Arabic Novel

Date: 8 Sep 2010
From:  "Dr. Saeed Alwakil" <alwakil at aucegypt.edu>
Subject: Poetry and the Body in the Arabic Novel

Dear Colleagues,

Koll sana w antom bekoll khair.

I'd like to inform you that two of my Arabic books are available now on Amazon and creatspace.

1- What Laila Said to Almajnoun, A Collection of Poems

The love story of Laila and her infatuated lover (Almajnoun) is the most common one in Arabic literature. We know what the Arab poet Almajnoun said to his beloved Laila but we know very little about what she said to him. This is a collection of poems that Laila might say to Almajnoun.

Order from:

https://www.createspace.com/3470854

2- The Body in the Contemporary Arabic Novel
"The Body in the Contemporary Arabic Novel: Position, Gesticulation and Notion" deals with three novels from three Arab countries. The book aims are searching for distinctions in body representations.

Concerning the methodology, the book uses Narratology, Semiology, Cognitive Psychology, Kinesics and Proxemics.

The Introduction portrays the body notion in the Gnostic Theory and the Arabic traditional texts dealing with human sexuality. It also depicts the body notion in contemporary discourses, disclosing the body notion in Modernism

The first chapter scrutinizes the Gnostic representation of the body in the novel "at-Tibr" (Gold), by the Libyan novelist Ibrahim al-Kouny. The second chapter examines the ideological representation of the body in the Syrian novelist Haydar Haydar's "Walimah li A'ashaab al-Bahr" (A Banquet for Sea Weeds). The third chapter explores the mythological representation in the novel "Madinat al-Lad dah" (City of Pleasure), by the Egyptian novelist Ezzat al-Qamhaawy.

Order from:

https://www.createspace.com/3470631

Kind regards,

Saeed