Arabic-L:LING:'common sense'

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Sep 17 16:25:52 UTC 2010

1) Subject: 'common sense'

Date: 17 Sep 2010
From: m7schub at aol.de
Subject: 'common sense'

    Re 'common sense:'  The title of Abuu  Su`uud's tafsiir (Qur'an commentary) is:

*Irshaad    al-`Aql   al-Saliim  ilaa  Mazaayaa  al-Kitaab  al-Kariim* (from Al-Dhabi's  *Al-Tafsiir  wal-

Mufassiriin* vol 1, p. 490 top).

    / fiTrah /, according to my Sprachgefuehl  ( =  / al-Hiss  al-lughawii /  or:  / ...  al-lughawiyy /  [??]) has more to do

with 'character' than with 'sense; feeling.'

    wa-maa   ra'yu-ka?

    Best wishes,

Mike Schub  <m7schub at aol.com>

   Serendipity City:  I just stumbled upon:  "/li-anna  ra'sa  maali-him  kaana  l-fiTrah  s-saliimah

wal-`aqla  S-Sirf/  = [??]  "Their capital was 'common horse sense'"??  In Fleischer's ed. of BayDawii,

vol. 1, p.  27, line 19.  (Reprint Osnabrueck  1968).