Arabic-L:LING:Need electronic text from19th early 20th centuries

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Thu Sep 23 19:38:51 UTC 2010

1) Subject: Need electronic text from19th early 20th centuries

Date: 23 Sep 2010
From:moderator
Subject: Need electronic text from19th early 20th centuries

I have been contacted about providing search capabilities so that a scholar can search early Arabic newspapers from the latter part of the 19th century and the early part of the 20th century in order to do studies on the introduction and change in meaning and use of particular words.  It occurs to me that if such a capability were available, many scholars would be interested.  I have volunteered to make the engine of the arabiCorpus.byu.edu tool available for any such project.  We could divide it, for example, by decades, so that scholars could see the development of how words are actually used over time.  However, this would require the existence of a digitized version of a reasonable amount of this text. If anyone either has such a thing or knows where it might be obtained, please let us know.  In addition to newspaper and magazine text, any electronic texts from this period (basically 1800-1920 or even 1950) would be welcome.
Thanks.
dil