Arabic-L:LIT:APA panel on reception of Arabic Literature

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Dec 28 16:51:11 UTC 2011

1) Subject: APA panel on reception of Arabic Literature

Date: 28 Dec 2011
From:  drpkimball at GMAIL.COM
Subject: APA panel on reception of Arabic Literature

Apologies for cross-posting.Note that "literature" is not construed as
belles lettres alone, and that "receptions" embraces all modes of
reception, not simply translation.
CFP: Islamic and Arabic Receptions of Classical Literature

*Sponsored by the APA Committee on Classical Tradition and Reception*

The American Philological Association’s  Committee on Classical Tradition
and Reception invites submissions for a panel to be held at the 2013 annual
meeting of the APA in Seattle, Washington, on the topic of “Islamic and
Arabic Receptions of Classical Literature.”

We seek contributions which examine the Arabic translation of Greek
literature as an active process of creative production, not simply as a
vehicle for preserving and transmitting lost (or better) witnesses of
classical texts. Such a perspective has been most forcefully and
persuasively championed over the past two decades by A. I. Sabra and
Dimitri Gutas, both insisting that any properly historical treatment of the
Arabic reception of Greek texts must take into account the precise contexts
informing the conscious appropriation and adaptation of ancient works for
specific constituencies and audiences. At the same time, we encourage
papers that question the role played by Islam in this process, that is the
degree to which "Islam " as such can explain the selection, rejection,
and/or modification of Classical material by Arabic translators. We hope
that the panel will underline the need for an essentially contextual, i.e.
historical, approach to classical receptions, and will offer implications
for understanding other cultural receptions as well.

Proposals for papers taking no more than twenty minutes to deliver should
be sent via email attachment (in Word or Open Office format) to Dr. Paul
Kimball (pkimball at bilkent.edu.tr) no later than *January 15, 2011*. Please
follow the program committee's suggestions for preparing individual
abstracts as specified in the APA Program
Guide<http://apaclassics.org/index.php/annual_meeting/program_guide>.
APA membership is normally required to participate and must be verified
before proposals are considered. However, waivers may be granted to
scholars residing outside North America or working in allied fields such as
Islamic history or Arabic studies. All submissions will be subject to
double-blind review by two referees and the panel as a whole evaluated by
the APA Program Committee before notification of final acceptance.
--
Dr. Paul E. Kimball
Bilkent University

End of Arabic-L: