Arabic-L:LING:Grammar query

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Mon Feb 14 20:03:13 UTC 2011

1) Subject: Grammar query

Date: 14 Feb 2011
From: Otakar Smrz <otakar.smrz at mff.cuni.cz>
Subject: Grammar query

Dear readers,

I have come across an Arabic sentence which interestingly combines the
grammatical constraints implied by "'anna and its sisters" with the
constraints implied by "kaana and its sisters".

The sentence is:

واضاف ان احد اهداف القمة سيكون "جعل وقف اطلاق النار دائما".

It can be glossed as:

And he added that one of the goals of the summit will be "making the
ceasefire permanent".

Let me ask your opinions about the grammatical role of the word جعل
"making" and its case ending that you perceive as correct and/or
natural. Which phrase is the subject, and which one is the predicate
of the clause after ان "that", please? Which one is the topic, and
which one is the focus? If سيكون "will be" were omitted, would the
status of جعل "making" change?

Thank you very much for your comments.

Best regards and wishes,

Otakar Smrz