Arabic-L:LING:Naming the recent events in Egypt

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Mon Feb 14 20:03:11 UTC 2011

1) Subject: Naming the recent events in Egypt

Date: 14 Feb 2011
From: dil parkinson <dil at byu.edu>
Subject: Naming the recent events in Egypt

I am interested in how well-known events get 'named', and what processes lead to particular names 'sticking'.  For example, participants in the recent events in Egypt expressed annoyance when some news organizations referred to them as 'protests' rather than as a 'revolution'.  Further, it seemed to me (although I could be wrong) that certain non-Egyptian news organizations consistently used 'Lotus' to refer to the Egyptian events, but that this was never adopted in the Egyptian press.  I used search to come up with the following list of references to the events in the various newspapers listed.  I would happy to hear of any additions or any insights into this naming process that other readers have come to.
dil

Ahram

ثورة الفيس بووك
ثورة ٢٥ يناير