Arabic-L:LING:Naming Egypt events

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Feb 16 19:49:11 UTC 2011

1) Subject: Naming Egypt events
2) Subject: Naming Egypt events
3) Subject: Naming Egypt events
4) Subject: Naming Egypt events

Date: 16 Feb 2011
From: Robert Ricks <rsricks at gmail.com>
Subject: Naming Egypt events

On Twitter, which was widely used to mobilize protestors and disseminate information over the past few weeks, the hashtag #Jan25 (and occasionally #25Jan) gained broad currency in marking messages ("tweets") related to the protests/revolution. (There were others, like #tahrir, but this one seemed the most common.) One can see here  (http://hashtags.org/Jan25) that at 11 AM on Feb 11, 1.35% of all messages on Twitter were marked with this tag.

Given the crucial role of young, internet-savvy Egyptians in the revolution—as well as Egyptians' apparent predilection for events named after dates generally (e.g., 6 October, July 23)—I wouldn't be surprised if the Jan 25 tag sticks.

Robert