Arabic-L:LING:bibliography of lexicographic and etymological resources suggestion

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Jan 26 19:38:59 UTC 2011

1) Subject: bibliography of lexicographic and etymological resources suggestion
2) Subject: response from Arabic-L

Date: 26 Jan 2011
From: Ernest McCarus <enm at umich.edu>
Subject: bibliography of lexicographic and etymological resources suggestion

There is strong interest in an etymological dictionary of Arabic, as
evidenced to the response to Rajaa Aquil's appeal; see his message below.
It is unlikely, however, that any one or any group will start work on one
to produce one in the foreseeable future.

I would like to propose that we at least assemble all the known works that
have been published, I have some that haven't been mentioned yet.  If you
agree, would it be possible for Arabic-L to set up a kind of mailbox that
individuals could send in bibliographic references to that would then be
available to anyone interested?

Thanks again for all you do for Arabic studies and for Arabists, and please
have a year full of joy, excellent health and only good news.

best,

Ernest