Arabic-L:LING:Needs Saudi and Gulf Facebook friends

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Tue Jul 5 17:56:43 UTC 2011

1) Subject: Needs Saudi and Gulf Facebook friends

Date: 05 Jul 2011
From: moderator
Subject: Needs Saudi and Gulf Facebook friends

I have received the following appeal from Dr. John Myhill of the University of Haifa who is working with an Israeil-Arab MA student on a sociolinguistic project involving the use of Arabic in Facebook in various Arab countries.  If you have ideas about how this problem can be solved, you can email him directly, or email me <dil at byu.edu> and I will pass it on to him.
dil

Dear Dr. Parkinson,
My name is John Myhill, I'm a sociolinguist at the University of Haifa. I have a
student, Dua'a Abu Elhija Mahajna, who is doing her MA thesis research on how
Arabic is used in Facebook in different countries. She's been able to get data
from almost everywhere, but she's having serious problems with Saudi Arabia and
the Gulf because people there don't want to be Facebook friends with her. What
she is doing is just basic sociolinguistic research on language usage. Any help
in finding Facebook friends for her in these countries would be much
appreciated.
Thanks,
John Myhill
Professor of Linguistics
Dept. of English Language and Literature
University of Haifa
Mt. Carmel, Haifa 31905
Israel
john at research.haifa.ac.il