Arabic-L:PEDA:NMELRC Webinar (please RSVP by June 17)

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Jun 15 14:26:58 UTC 2011

1) Subject: NMELRC Webinar (please RSVP by June 17)

Date: 15 Jun 2011
From: Kirk Belnap <belnap at byu.edu>
Subject: NMELRC Webinar (please RSVP by June 17)

Greetings from Utah! The weather is perfect and we still have a lot of snow on the mountains. We wish you could all come and visit. Since we can’t bring you all here in person, we have a “next best” plan.

On behalf of the National Middle East Language Resource Center (NMELRC), we would like to invite you to participate in a webinar on Wednesday, June 22nd, 2011 at 2:00 pm Eastern Standard Time in the U.S. (evening in the Middle East). The topic will be: Student Anxiety and Motivation during Intensive Language Study Abroad. This 90-minute webinar will be lead by clinical psychologist and author Dr. Madeline Ehrman who recently retired after 35 years at the Foreign Service Institute’s School of Language Studies where she was Director of Research Evaluation & Development (note: she continues to do ground-breaking work with FSI, which participants will learn more about). The webinar will focus on sources and symptoms of student anxiety during study abroad and tools for program directors, teachers and mentors to assist them in becoming effective self-regulating learners.

Every student should have at least one experience abroad that is a rewarding culmination of their language learning efforts to date. Unfortunately, and often in spite of the best of intentions, anxiety all too often undercuts students’ in-country language and culture learning--and not just their first time abroad! Good coaching could result in far more students, beginning, intermediate, and even those knocking on the door of Superior-level proficiency, enjoying much more productive experiences abroad.

This webinar builds on face-to-face meetings and site visits to language programs from Istanbul to Casa Blanca and is part of NMELRC’s on-going “Project Perseverance,” which you can learn more about at www.nmelrc.org and where you’ll find useful resources for students and teachers. The format of the webinar will be a live webcast with participants emailing in questions and comments before, during and up to 24 hours after the broadcast. We hope that you can join us or nominate a colleague from your institution to participate.

Please RSVP by email to me, Maggie Nassif <mnnassif at byu.edu>, by June 17th. We’ll send you a PDF of a chapter from Dr. Ehrman’s book, Understanding Second Language Learning Difficulties, that will facilitate more fruitful discussion. We’ll also send you information on how to participate.

Best wishes,

MNN