Arabic-L:GEN:MLA 2012 Call (deadline March 1)

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Tue Mar 1 00:15:06 UTC 2011

Arabic-L: Mon 28 Feb 2011
Moderator: Dilworth Parkinson <dil at byu.edu>

1) Subject: MLA 2012 Call (deadline March 1)

Date: 28 Feb 2011
From: Karin Ryding <rydingk at georgetown.edu>
Subject: MLA 2012 Call (deadline March 1)

Dear Colleague,

I write to invite you to join me at the 2012 MLA Annual Convention, which will take place in Seattle, 5–8 January. I also invite you to consider participating, by presenting a paper, joining a roundtable discussion, or organizing a session. The MLA Program Committee especially welcomes session proposals in formats that highlight teaching experience, creative work, and civic engagement and encourages you to view an invitation from the committee at www.mla.org/proposal_invite.

To be included in the convention program, search (www.mla.org/cfp_search) or browse (www.mla.org/cfp_browse) the calls for papers already posted on the MLA Web site. Through 1 March 2011, you may also submit your own call for papers at www.mla.org/cfp_main. As the session organizer, you are responsible for acknowledging all submissions and inquiries regarding your call for papers. We recommend posting a submission deadline of not later than 15 March.

Please keep in mind that a call for papers is not a session proposal but a way to solicit paper submissions for creating a session proposal. Proposal forms for the 2012 convention will be available at www.mla.org/ssp_main in early March.
Completed proposal forms must be submitted by 1 April 2011. The MLA Program Committee will determine which session proposals are accepted.

All participants in convention sessions must be MLA members by 7 April 2011, and members should review other guidelines for the MLA convention (www.mla.org/conv_procedures) before responding to or submitting calls for papers.

The MLA Annual Convention is an exciting intellectual and professional event. I hope you will consider participating, and I look forward to seeing you in Seattle.

Cordially,

Russell A. Berman
MLA President
Walter A. Haas Professor in the Humanities, Stanford University