Arabic-L:PEDA:TAFL worldwide list

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Mon Mar 14 20:02:52 UTC 2011

1) Subject: TAFL worldwide list

Date: 14 Mar 2011
From: Paula Santillán <psgrimm at casaarabe-ieam.es>
Subject: TAFL worldwide list

[Moderator's note: Paula provided this list in a nice table format which gets wrecked when it changes to text only, so if you are interested, I would take her up on the offer to provide you directly with the word document.]

Dear members,

Here’s the most updated list on TAFL programs and courses I’ve been able to compile so far. Thanks to those who have responded so promptly.

I’ve arranged the list according to those institutions (and geographical areas) that offer the highest academic degree.

I don’t think I can attach any document to an Arabic-L list email; if you’re interested on the word document, you can email me directly and I’ll send it to you.

Best regards to all,

-paula

TAFL WORLDWIDE (updated March 2011)
INSTITUTION
DEGREE/TYPE OF COURSE
USA
University of Michigan
http://www.umich.edu/~neareast/about.html
MA
Monterey Institute of International Studies
http://www.miis.edu/academics/programs/tfl
MA in Teaching Foreign Languages
Wayne State University
does not offer courses that focus specifically on TAFL
http://www.clas.wayne.edu/mall/
Master of Arts in Language Learning (MALL)
Georgetown University
http://schedule.georgetown.edu/
MA course (ARAB 547)
Fall semester only
STARTALK – a program of the National Security Language Initiative (NSLI)
http://startalk.umd.edu/programs/search?year=2010&participant-type=teacher&language=Arabic
TAFL  programs on different locations
ARAB/MUSLIM WORLD
The American University in Cairo, Egypt
1) School of Humanities and Social Sciences
http://catalog.aucegypt.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=15&poid=1786&returnto=475
2) The School of Continuing Education
http://www.aucegypt.edu/sce/courses/arabic/Pages/cctafl.aspx

MA

Career Certificate (CCTAFL)
University of Jordan
?
MA
Gazi Faculty of Education, Ankara, Turkey
Department of Foreign Languages Teaching
http://www.yabancidiller.gazi.edu.tr/arapdili/Ects_Eng/index.htm
BA
King Saud University, Saudi Arabia
Arabic Language Institute
http://colleges.ksu.edu.sa/ali/Teacher%20training%20department/Pages/Programs.aspx
Postgraduate Diploma and one-semester course
AALIM, Meknes, Morocco
www.aalimorocco.com
offers two 2-week intensive TAFL workshops per year
Qasid Institute for Teaching Classical Arabic and Modern Standard Arabic, Amman- Jordan
 http://www.qasid.com/
Occasional courses
American U in Beirut, Lebanon
not at the moment
EUROPE
SOAS, London (UK)
http://www.soas.ac.uk/languagecentre/languages/arabic/postgraduate-certificate-diploma-in-teaching-arabic.html
Postgraduate Certificate / Diploma in Teaching Arabic
Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridsky"
Department of Arabic and Semitic Studies

MA in Applied Linguistics (two related TFL courses: Learning, Teaching & Assessing Modern Foreign Languages, and TAFL)
Universidad de Granada, Spain
http://www.ugr.es/~estsemi/master.html
MA course
CASAW, UK
http://www.casaw.ac.uk/index.php/weoffer/more/best_practice_fo_teaching_arabic_a_comunicative_approach_3-7_august_british/
(once a year workshop on TAFL)
Manchester Metropolitan University
langcourses at mmu.ac.uk
+0161-247-3945
20-hour course on Teaching Arabic and Chinese as Foreign Languages
The International House London, Modern Languages Department:
Mo.La.Co: The 4th Conference for Modern Language Teachers of Arabic, French, Italian and Spanish
12-13th November 2010
Occasional 2-day workshop in Arabic by M. Al-Batal
ON-LINE TRAINING
The University of Texas at Austin, US (Texas Language Technology Center)
Online Methods course
http://coerll.utexas.edu/methods/
Foreign Language Teaching Methods focuses on 12 different aspects of language teaching, each taught by a different expert instructor. The site contains video footage from an actual methods course held at the University of Texas at Austin. This flexible resource is designed to be used by foreign language teachers as a component of a classroom methods course or as a stand-alone course for independent learners.
No degree
NB: The listening module is conducted by Prof. Al-Batal who uses an advanced AFL class as a case study.

Al Deen Foundation
http://www.aldeenfoundation.org/teacheronline2010.html
8 weeks of online training
one unit credit from Loyola Marymount University
No degree