Arabic-L:PEDA:Summer Arabic at U of Maryland

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Thu May 12 16:47:09 UTC 2011

1) Subject: Summer Arabic at U of Maryland
2) Subject: Summer Egyptian Arabic at U of Maryland

Date: 12 May 2011
From: Katherine Anne Giuffre <kgiuffre at umd.edu>
Subject: Summer Arabic at U of Maryland

Learn Arabic at the University of Maryland this summer!
The University of Maryland in College Park, Arabic Department is pleased to offer two intensive classes in elementary Arabic this summer where students will learn the basics of Modern Standard Arabic (listening, speaking, reading and writing) and will be also introduced to Levantine dialect of Arabic. The two courses, ARAB-104 and ARAB-105, are equivalent to one full year of Arabic. The primary textbook is al-Kitaab series, covering Alif Baa and 13 chapters of al-Kitaab Part I. The course is designed for students who have no prior experience with Arabic.

ARAB104 Elementary Modern Standard Arabic I-II; (6 credits)
Not open to fluent/native speakers of Arabic. An intensive course focusing on developing functional proficiency in the standard Arabic language, both written and formal spoken. Begins with script and phonology, and develops into a range of situation-based texts and topics that build vocabulary, grammar, general communicative competence and cultural awareness. This course includes an additional 3 hours of conversation lab per week.
Meets 05/31/11-07/10/11
MTuWThF... 9:00am-11:50am, (SQH 1101)

ARAB105 Elementary Modern Standard Arabic III-IV; (6 credits)
Not open to fluent/native speakers of Arabic. Prerequisite: ARAB104. Continuation of ARAB104, developing further linguistic proficiency in Standard Arabic, both written and formal spoken. Covers an extended range of situation-based texts and topics that build vocabulary, grammar, general communicative competence and cultural awareness.
Meets 07/11/11-08/21/11
MTuWThF... 9:00am-11:50am, (SQH 1101)

For more information, please contact Katherine Giuffre, Arabic Flagship Coordinator, at kgiuffre at umd.edu