Arabic-L:PEDA:curriculum for Middle/High School Students

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Sat Nov 12 13:59:44 UTC 2011

Arabic-L: Sat 12 Nov 2011
Moderator: Dilworth Parkinson <
dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu

[To post messages to the list, send them to
arabic-l at byu.edu
]
           listserv at byu.edu
with first line reading:

1) Subject:curriculum for Middle/High School Students

Date: 12 Nov 2011
From:Wafa Hassan <hassanw at msu.edu>
Subject:curriculum for Middle/High School Students

There are many good books and many other materials are available to choose from to teach Arabic to Middle and High school students. Teachers need a thematically and standards-based curriculum allows them to set clear learning objectives and to be able to plan their lesson from day one to the last day of school.  A curriculum that is communicative and foster student-centered activities.
With the support of the Arabic Flagship Program, MSU, we developed secondary (Middle/High school) 36 thematic units aligned  with ACTFL National Standards and backwards curriculum design. The curriculum is currently being used by many schools in the US and abroad.
Next week in Denver (ACTFL conference 2011) we will introduce our curriculum, and the new teaching materials that we developed that goes along with each unit.  In addition on how to access the curriculum and the materials online through Atlas Curriculum Mapping. Also the system is open for teachers to share their lesson plans and materials from anywhere in the world.

Dr. Wafa Hassan
Director of Outreach and K-12 Intiatives
Arabic Language Flagship Program
Michigan State University
hassanw at msu.edu