Arabic-L:PEDA:teaching 'I think'

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Mon Oct 10 17:36:20 UTC 2011

1) Subject:teaching 'I think'
2) Subject:teaching 'I think'

Date: 10 Oct 2011
From:rehab eldeeb <r_eldeeb at aucegypt.edu<mailto:r_eldeeb at aucegypt.edu>>
Subject:teaching 'I think'

Dear Nesrine ,
I think that  " ana faker" is used in different ways as :
1- أنا فاكرة اسمه  I remember his name
2- أنا فاكرة إن اسمه محمد I thought that his name is Mohamed .
 Here some would say : أنا فاكرة اسمه محمد  .
still you could mention that إن  is ommitted voulantery .if you  can add it and you have the same meaning it will mean "I thought " .

I think the structure plays a role here :  لو استخدمت اسم الفاعل بس : يجي بعده اسم و يكون بمعنى  to remember
لو استخدمت اسم الفاعل + إن : يجي بعدهم جملة اسمية و يكون بمعنى :  to think

Normally we say : افتكر  followed by a nominal sentence to give the meaning of " I think " and not بافتكر  .
افتكر - متهيألي  have the same meaning and the same use in sentence structure .
أعتقد  is also used and it's not too fusHa ya Nesrine . It's just how you receive it . May be it's because of the ق . I think using it fulfills the register we want to teach our student ( 3ammeyyet el muthaqqafin ) .

Hope that I could have helped . Wish you all the best of luck !

Rehab El Deeb