Arabic-L:PEDA:Learning Arabic by oneself

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Sep 28 12:50:27 UTC 2011

1) Subject:Learning Arabic by oneself

Date: 28 Sep 2011
From:Thad Suits <suits at initco.net<mailto:suits at initco.net>>
Subject:Learning Arabic by oneself

Having learned Arabic on my own, I found that in starting as a complete beginner I got the most out of Teach Yourself Arabic, then I went through the much more thorough Al Kitaab series in three volumes (with excellent DVD's included). If you already have the basics and do not feel the need for the simplified introduction that the Teach Yourself series provides, I suggest going straight to the Al-Kitaab series.

Other online resources I found helpful were Learn Arabic Online, which has short newspaper articles in both written and spoken format, and Aswaat Arabiyya, which is free and focuses on listening comprehension at all levels of study. For reading, I also found graphic novels and cartoons an enjoyable entry into the intermediate/advanced reading level. Tintin, for instance, is readily available in Arabic, as are many Anime videos (colloquial and Fusha).

For vocabulary building, I can recommend my own software, Latifah, which is a glorified flashcard program with built-in vocabulary from the standard Arabic methods, including the two I mentioned. It sells for $35 and is also available online or directly from me.

Good luck in your studies.

Thad Suits
Montana, USA