Arabic-L:PEDA:Security refs

Mon Apr 9 23:04:42 UTC 2012

1) Subject:Security refs

Date: 09 Apr 2012
From:Stephen Franke <shfranke at hotmail.com>
Subject:Security refs

Ref my earlier post.

Here are some additional related references:

The following is a specialized textbook among the large batch of
student references issued to military officers (including some from
SANG) attending the year-long course at the Ministry of Defense (MOD)
Command and General Staff College (CGSC), Riyadh

Intelligence Staff Officer's Guide [2003] - Arabic-only edition

This Guide and the two SANG field manuals, cited in my earlier note
below, were very useful when I was an advisor and trainer in these and
related ("C3I", et al) subjects to commanders and staffs of SANG
units. They cover the nitty-gritty details of "military intelligence,"
primarily tactical/combat intelligence, ground-level bare "eyeball"
recon & surveillance.

Many concepts, terms, acronyms, and jargon/expressions specific to
higher levels, i.e. strategic / "national intelligence" can be found
in the following three helpful publications, cited immediately below,
although one must buy BOTH the original English editions (US vendors)
and their corresponding Arabic translations from different sources
(discussed below).

(The Arabic versions were in stock at the Jarir or Obeikan outlets in
downtown Riyadh. Jarir and Obeikan are Saudi equivalents to our B&N
and Borders bookstore chains. I can suggest one of the better-stocked
Arabic bookstores in southern California which most probably can find
& order them because of its US distributorship agreements with those
two and other major Arabic publishers overseas.)

[5] At the Center of the Storm, by George Tenet [Former Director of the CIA]
(FYI: The Arabic rendition of the title = In the Heart of the Storm =
Fii Qalb al-3aSifat - في قلب العاصفة )
Publisher: Dar al-Ketab al-Arabi, Beirut, 2007

[6] My FBI, by Louis Freeh [Former Director of the FBI]

[7]  The US Intelligence Community -- Jeffrey T. Richelson [the 2d
edition is in Arabic, best I recall; may have been 3rd, circa 2007 =
مجتمع الاستخبارات الامريكي ]

-----------------------------

For those interested in technology-related topics of intelligence, the
following are publisher data & the Table of Contents page (only the
English-language TOC page appears below, due to space) for a book --
published in matching English (2008) and Arabic (2010) editions by a
think tank in United Arab Emirates, and somewhat akin to our CSIS in
DC -- about concepts, terms, and expressions related to the higher
levels of "intelligence," especially about the "technology-centric"
disciplines of SIGINT, COMINT, ELINT and EW, plus C3I:

Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com offer the English version at various
prices. Probably easiest to order the Arabic version directly from the
ECSSR [ http://www.ecssr.ae/ ]

[8a] Technology in Warfare: The Electronic Dimension (ENGLISH)
Publisher: The Emirates Center for Strategic Studies and Research
[8b] Technology in Warfare: The Electronic Dimension (ARABIC)
ISBN (Hardcover): 978-9948-14-259-1
Language: Arabic
Edition: 1st Edition
Date of Publication: 2010
Pages: 572

Technology in Warfare: The Electronic Dimension

                                  [TABLE OF CONTENTS]

Figures and Tables

Abbreviations and Acronyms

 Foreword
- Jamal S. Al-Suwaidi

 INTRODUCTION
 Electronic Warfare: An Overview

BACKGROUND AND EARLY DEVELOPMENT
1. Electronic Warfare: Basic Concept and Early Development
2. World Wars I and II
3. Further Wartime Developments

POST-WAR DEVELOPMENTS
4. Electronic Warfare during the Cold War
5. Electronic Warfare in Vietnam and the Arab-Israeli Wars
6. Electronic Warfare in Limited Wars and Conflicts

ELECTRONIC WARFARE IN THE GULF WAR (1990-91)
7. Electronic Warfare and Electronic Intelligence in the Gulf War
8. Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm
9. Post-Gulf War Conclusions, Lessons and Developments

ELECTRONIC WARFARE: THEMATIC DEVELOPMENTS
10. The Role of Infrared and Laser
11. Electronic Warfare in Space

Conclusion: The Impact of Technology on Warfare

Appendix: Fundamental Concepts

Notes
Bibliography
About the Author

Some new Arabic-language books about Yemeni military history [to 1967]
and Yemeni tribes have emerged recently, and those contain many terms
related to defense and general military subjects.

Hope these help.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California