Arabic-L:LING:Two New Books on Arabic Grammar

Mon Aug 20 16:34:19 UTC 2012

1) Subject:Two New Books on Arabic Grammar

Date: 21 Aug 2012
From:Arik Sadan arik.sadan at mail.huji.ac.il
Subject:Two New Books on Arabic Grammar

Dear friends and colleagues,

I am delighted to share with you the news that two books, on which I
was working during the past couple of years, have recently been
published:

1. A critical edition of the grammatical treatise Taḏkirat jawāmiʿ
al-ʾadawāt by Muḥammad b. Aḥmad b. Maḥmūd. Arabische Studien 8.
Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz, 2012. XIV, 150 pp.

This book is a critical edition of a hitherto unpublished -- and
virtually unknown -- grammatical treatise, Taḏkirat jawāmiʿ
al-ʾadawāt, which is dedicated to Arabic grammar, but also contains
chapters devoted to other topics, such as logic and rhetoric. The
edition is based on eleven manuscripts from Germany, Iran, Israel,
Slovakia and Turkey. The introduction offers an analysis of the
contents of the treatise and surveys the manuscripts used for its
preparation.
This study results from my post-doctoral research, which I began in
Paris (2009-2010) and completed in Jena (2010-2011), under the
academic sponsorship of Prof. Jean-Patrick Guillaume (Université Paris
3 and Université Paris 7) and Prof. Tilman Seidensticker
(Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena), respectively.
For further details, please see www.harrassowitz-verlag.de/title_4123.ahtml.

2. The subjunctive mood in Arabic grammatical thought. Studies in
Semitic Languages and Linguistics 66. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 2012. XX,
382 pp.

This study is a revised, English version of my Ph.D. dissertation
(Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2010), written under the supervision
of Prof. Aryeh Levin. It analyzes various native grammatical theories
of the naṣb (subjunctive mood) in Classical Arabic, its syntactic
environments, the dialectal differences relating to its employment,
and the historical changes and developments it underwent.
For further details, please see
http://www.brill.nl/subjunctive-mood-arabic-grammatical-thought.

The successful completion of these two projects would not have been
possible without the strong support and encouragement of friends and
colleagues worldwide -- as detailed in the acknowledgement sections of
the books -- to whom I wish again to extend my deepest thanks here.

Best wishes,

Arik Sadan