Arabic-L:LING:More on false idaafas

Tue Jul 3 22:31:18 UTC 2012

1) Subject:More on false idaafas
2) Subject:More on false idaafas

Date: 03 Jul 2012
From:David Wilmsen <david.wilmsen at gmail.com>
Subject:More on false idaafas

Sorry for the delay; we're starting up our intensive summer Arabic program,
and the work keeps us up nights! No time to answer mails, except from
teachers and students!

This is a good site for grammar reference, in fact it told me something
about the idafa that I couldn't find anywhere else. I found it once when
attempting to answer a question from a student, and it has proved to be
quite reliable, as it should be, considering the publisher: قلب العروبة
النابض

Let us hope she survives as such. Here is the URL:

http://www.reefnet.gov.sy/education/kafaf/index.html

This is what it has to say about definiteness and agreement in the false
idafa:

* الصفة المشبهة*: لا تتعرّف بالإضافة، بل تتعرّف بـ
[ألـ<http://www.reefnet.gov.sy/education/kafaf/Adawat/Al.htm>]،
وعليه قولُهم في تنكيرها: [زارنا رجلٌ *حسنُ*
الأخلاق](3)<http://www.reefnet.gov.sy/education/kafaf/Bohoth/Edafah.htm#_ftn3>.
فإذا أُريد تعريفها حُلِّيَت بـ [ألـ] فقيل: [زارنا الرجلُ *الحسنُ* الأخلاق]
(4) <http://www.reefnet.gov.sy/education/kafaf/Bohoth/Edafah.htm#_ftn4>.

David Wilmsen
Associate Professor of Arabic
Department of Arabic and Near Eastern Languages
American University of Beirut
Bliss Street, Hamra
Beirut, Lebanon
1107 2020