Arabic-L:GEN:Georgetown Unversity Press to publish AATA Journal Al-Arabiyya

Tue Jul 17 15:08:09 UTC 2012

1) Subject:Georgetown Unversity Press to publish AATA Journal Al-Arabiyya

Date: 17 Jul 2012
From:Jacqueline Beilhart jb594 at georgetown.edu
Subject:Georgetown Unversity Press to publish AATA Journal Al-Arabiyya

Georgetown University Press to Publish the American Association
of Teachers of Arabic’s Al-cArabiyya Journal

WASHINGTON D.C. — Georgetown University Press is delighted to assume
the publication of Al-cArabiyya, the annual, peer-reviewed journal of
the American Association of Teachers of Arabic (AATA). Volumes 44 and
45 (2011-2012), a joint issue edited by Dr. Reem Bassiouney of
Georgetown University, will be the first issue, and it will be
available in December 2012. Al-cArabiyya is the only scholarly journal
with a focus on Arabic language, linguistics, literature, and
pedagogy.

“We are thrilled to work with the AATA to produce the leading journal
for teaching Arabic language,” says Hope LeGro, Director of Georgetown
Languages at GU Press. “GU Press is committed to serving the field of
Arabic language learning, as we have been for nearly fifty years. This
journal partnership is a natural evolution of our shared mission with
AATA.” The press publishes the Al-Kitaab Arabic Language Program, as
well as Arabic dictionaries and other Arabic textbooks.

This year, the AATA celebrates fifty years of serving the scholars of
Arabic around the world. Dr. Elizabeth M. Bergman, Executive Director
of AATA, praises the new relationship saying, “The AATA has
demonstrated its commitment to scholarship on Arabic language,
literature, and pedagogy through publication of Al-cArabiyya and
through other activities for nearly fifty years. Our partnership with
Georgetown University Press is a fitting commemoration of these years
of service. It is also a wonderful way to more forward, and serve the
growing number of those who study and teach Arabic language and
literature.”

Georgetown Languages at Georgetown University Press is a collaboration
of language experts and publishing professionals to produce high
quality language learning resource materials in traditional and new
learning media. Working with the academic community to develop foreign
language learning materials grounded in superior scholarship and
experienced pedagogy, we publish in critical as well as commonly
taught languages in print and electronic formats, primarily for
college, high school, and adult learners.

Georgetown University Press supports the academic mission of
Georgetown University by publishing scholarly books and journals for a
diverse, worldwide readership. These publications, written by an
international group of authors representing a broad range of
intellectual perspectives, focus on five subjects: bioethics;
international affairs; languages; political science, public policy, &
public management; and religion & ethics.

CONTACT: Jacqueline Beilhart, Publicist, (202) 687-9298, jb594 at georgetown.edu